Led by a team of respected and widely experienced Partners, the Firm has been able to grow a portfolio of transactions that span the East African region as well as incorporating other global jurisdictions. In particular, the Firm has handled major transactions with footprints in Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda amongst others.
MMC is one of Kenya’s leading corporate law firms in Kenya and the first to be ISO 9001:2001 Certified. It has over the years acted for a number of state corporations which include the National Oil Corporation. As a result of its impressive work, the firm has acquired leading Kenyan and international blue chip companies including Safaricom Limited, the leading telecommunications company in East and Central Africa.
The Firm is a key player in the commercial sector and has been involved in some of the major deals that have shaped the region. Below are details of some of the recent transactions the Firm has been involved in that demonstrate the Firm’s capabilities in offering commercial work:
• Acted as the Legal Team Leader in advising National Oil Corporation (NOCK) in the acquisition transaction in respect of part of BP Kenya Limited’s retails service station outlets by National Oil Corporation.
• Served as the transaction legal advisor to NOCK in the USD10M acquisition of certain assets of Total – Chevron Kenya.
• Advising the Privatization Commission of Kenya as part of a Consortium led by Ernst & Young in the proposed privatization of five sugar companies in Western Kenya, that is, Sony Sugar Company Limited, Nzoia Sugar Company Limited, Muhoroni Sugar Company Limited, Miwani Sugar Company Limited and Chemilil Sugar Company Limited.
• Acted as Team Leader in the legal advisory team to the Privatization Commission on two on-going Privatization transactions; the privatization of the five government owned sugar companies and the sale of 25% shareholding by the Government of Kenya in East Africa Portland cement.
• Acting as Legal Team Leader in the largest privatization project in East and Central Africa on the sale of 25% of the Government of Kenya’s shareholding to the public and subsequent listing of Safaricom Limited on the Nairobi Stock Exchange. This was one of the largest Initial Public Offerings in Africa.
• Acted as Legal Team Leader in advising on the acquisition of business and assets of former Kenya Co-operative Creameries (KCC) by Government of Kenya and transfer to New KCC.
• Advised and assisted several multinational companies in setting up a presence in Kenya or enter into partnership, joint venture or other arrangements that allow them to have a presence and conduct business in Kenya. This include Orana A/S (a Danish company), Invest in Africa (a company registered in Gunsey and a subsidiary of Tullow), EnviroServ Waste Management Limited (a company with presence in several African and Middle East countries).
• Legal Team Leader of the legal advisory team in the first Initial Public Offering in Rwanda, of Bralirwa Limited on the Rwanda Stock Exchange.
• Legal Advisor to Kingdom Zephyr Africa Management Company on a proposed USD 200M securitization of corporate debt in Kenya including undertaking a detailed legal review of the Kenyan legal, regulatory and taxation regime with respect to the securitization of corporate debt and other receivables, advising on the structure and drafting the various transactional documents required.
• Advised Investeq Capital Limited, a financial advisory firm licenced by the Capital Markets Authority and focused on providing capital to SMEs in structuring a debt issue of corporate bonds to be placed privately for a real estate development.