Edward Muriu is the Team Leader and a Founding Partner of MMC Africa Law and leads a strong partnership of 12 Partners and a workforce of over 100 staff. Edward takes legal practice as a civic duty to his country.
He is passionate about law practice and giving people opportunity to grow in their careers. He is also an avid entrepreneur and is involved as an investor and advisor to both local and multinational companies. He sits on the Board of Directors in a number of companies with interests in finance, real-estate, conservation and agribusiness.
Areas of Expertise
- Real Estate
- Coaching & Mentorship
- Public Interest Litigation & Consultancy
- Strategy & Business Development
Team Leader and Coach
- As the vision holder, provides guidance, instruction, direction and leadership to the Partners and staff of MMC Africa Law.
- Coaches the MMC Africa Law team on how to run a law firm not only as a legal practice but as a business.
Strategy & Business Development
- In charge of developing and mapping out the Firm’s strategy.
- Critically reviews various sectors of the economy to identify new markets and customer needs.
- Identifying and proposing potential business deals.
- Screening potential business deals by analyzing market strategies and balancing the internal priorities of the Firm.
- Developing and maintaining a robust deal pipeline toward targeted entities to continuously grow the Firm and generate a transaction.
- Expanding the current clientele of MMC Africa Law.
- Acts as the custodian of the MMC Africa Law brand.
- Shapes the core value of the MMC Africa Law brand and reflects its core value in the legal market and its clients.
- Oversees the creation of marketing tools and techniques to increase brand awareness and brand visibility as regards MMC Africa Law.
Set up the Public Interest Litigation (PIL) Department at MMC Africa Law to accelerate Kenya’s transformation through the realization of social, economic and environmental justice as enshrined in the Constitution of Kenya 2010. The PIL Department has since then, worked on the following matters:
- Advised on the High Court Petition seeking to protect New KCC and other parastatals from unconstitutional Presidential appointments that endanger public resources undermine principles of good corporate governance; and
- Advised on a case demanding accountability from the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) for negligence in its regulatory role resulting in a preventable collapse of Kenyan banks, undermining the right to property and impoverishment of depositors.
- Advised KNCHR on advisory opinion in the Supreme Court No.1/2017, seeking to enforce integrity in public service as enshrined in the Constitution 2010, Chapter6.
- Seats on the Board of Wildlife Direct, a renowned conservation organization where he spearheads eyes in the courtroom campaign, pursuing known wildlife poachers for Wildlife Justice.